Monday, March 8, 2010

MANIC MONDAY – Dell Dock and Google Sidebar

I spend a lot of time on my computer.  Everything I love to do I can do on my computer.  Scrapbook, email, blog, internet, you get the picture.  Basically, my life is in my computer (thank goodness for external hard drives, by the way!).  Last week Cammie shared her system for organizing digital pictures, which she loves (and so do I because I copied her way!).  This week, I am sharing my most favorite thing about my computer…the Dell Dock.

Unfortunately, you cannot experience the genius of the Dell Dock, unless you own a Dell computer.  I’m pretty sure the Dell Dock is an imitation of whatever Mac computers have, but I’ve sadly never used a Mac.  Anyway, the Dell Dock is the perfect way to organize everything that normally sits on your desktop (and ends up covering the entire screen if you’re anything like me!)

Here is what my desktop looks like:

desktop

You can actually see the picture!  The Dell Dock is the thing across the top of the screen…

desktop2

And everything I use the most is hidden within the little icon/picture things.  So, from left to right:
1. Anything to do with music
2. Anything to do with pictures (My Pictures, Photoshop, Live Writer, Picasa, etc.),
3. Video stuff (video editing, My Videos, etc.)
4. Documents, spreadsheets, etc.
5. My calendar
6. Internet shortcut
7. Security settings
8. Help stuff
9. Recycle Bin
Here’s what the picture of the camera (#2) looks like expanded:

desktop3 
The cool thing about the Dock, is that it is totally customizable to you.  There are tons of different icons and categories to organize your computer the best way for YOU!  I fell in love from day 1!

Finally, the other thing I love about my desktop, is the Google sidebar.  It doesn’t help in organizing at all, I just like it.  So many things to choose from to add to it, but I like to keep it simple…

desktop4

 

 

 

My favorite Gadget (as they are called) is the gmail box.  It links to your gmail account(s) and tells you how many new emails you have!  I love that I don’t have to sign into each of my accounts just to see if I have mail.  If the little box says that I do have mail, all I have to do is click the “go” button and it takes me to the sign in page.  Love it!  (I love checking my email!)

 

 

 




So, there you have it!  A tour of my desktop!  It makes me at least feel organized!  Even when the folders under all the pretty pictures might be a mess! 

Happy organizing!

-Emily

2 comments:

  1. We have this on our computer and my husband keeps closing it out. I love how organized it is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a dell dock too but don't have the same icons that you have. Can you tell me how you got those? I've been looking online but haven't found them. thanks!

    ReplyDelete