Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Tasty Tuesday – Pumpkins!

l_libbys_pumpkin_pie_filling

Last week I was taking a small break from unpacking and spent a few hours swimming with my daughter at a friends house.  While I was there my friend started telling us about a pumpkin shortage.  Her daughter had been craving pumpkin muffins:

 

Pumpkin Muffins:

1 box spice cake mix

1 small can Libby’s pumpkin

12 oz chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350.  Mix all ingredients together.  Place in greased or lined muffin pan and bake for 22-26 minutes.  Eat and enjoy!

So the good mother she is went to the store to get the ingredients, only to find there was no Libby’s pumpkin.  She checked Wal-Mart and a few grocery stores.  This is when she found out that there was a pumpkin shortage.  She then decided to try and find some online, which she did, the bad news was that people were selling a can for $36.00!!!  Can you believe that?  Well the worst part about this story is that I had been craving Chocolate Chip Pumpkin cookies and had planned on shopping directly after our swimming. 

Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Cookies

I had Libby’s pumpkin on my grocery list and the craving only got stronger after all the talk!!!  So of course I looked for the canned pumpkin and of course there wasn’t any!!!  I can’t believe it!  So I am hoping maybe AZ has some, and maybe my mom can ship me some!  Since I am such a nice person I thought I’d share these recipes in hope that someone out there can find Libby’s pumpkin and make and eat these delicious treats!  Or if you are really lucky you already have some in your pantry, because I promise you I will be stocking up as SOON as I see it on the store shelves!!!  Enjoy, I’ll have to find something else to crave!

- Cammie

6 comments:

  1. We have TONS of canned pumpkin in our store. Only problem is it is in Duchesne. I was too craving pumpkin and yesterday made pumpkin chocolate chip bread. Delicious!

    If you ever want the yummy recipe, email me at kwhatch@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, just experienced this very same thing yesterday...thankfully my mom had an extra can, but I think I underpaid her for it! (certainly didn't pay 36.00 for it :)) I'm new to your blog, just surfing for meal planning blogs and found yours. Have you tried any meal planning books? I found one and would love to have some feedback. http://tinyurl.com/2adpn94

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here in Colorado you can't buy pumpkin anywhere. My sister and I spent a very frustrating day driving to every store within fifty miles and never found even one can!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought a case at Costco a few months ago so I have plenty but I have a question. A recipe never calls for the whole can,Can I freeze the unused pumpkin that is left?

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. We didn't have any Libby's in our grocery store... so I had to pay $3 a can for organic...
    but I have 10 cans now... I am a pumpkin scone, muffin, pie fanatic!! ;) visiting from TTcents ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know there was a pumpkin shortage last year. I bought a can or two about 6 months ago in case we have that problem again this year. I just made pumpkin pancakes... delicious but have left over pumpkin. Can I freeze it?

    ReplyDelete