Thursday, March 11, 2010

TEACH ME THURSDAY – My New Favorite Project!

First of all HAPPY BIRTHDAY CAMMIE!  Yup, today is Cammie’s big day!  We love birthdays, and our hubbies spoil us…we are so lucky!  Hope your day is great!  And happy birthday to any other March babies out there!

Now, are you ready to get up close and personal with the cutest onesies and shirts you’ve ever seen!  Ok, I may be a bit biased, since I made them, but they are just so darn cute!  And they were pretty simple to make too!

IMG_4474

IMG_4453

IMG_4459
(the back of the guitar shirt…love it!) 

What you need:
onesie, or t-shirt (any size)
fun fabric (I dug through my box of scraps, you don’t need much!)
Heat-n-Bond Lite interfacing (available at craft stores like Michaels and even some Walmarts.  You can use regular iron on interfacing, but it’s pretty stiff.)
Sewing machine, or needle and thread, your choice!
Iron
Scissors

What to do:
1.  Figure out what you want on the onesie or shirt.
2.  Draw it out or print it out on a piece of paper; cut out.
3. Cut a piece of fabric that is big enough to fit your paper pattern.  Cut a matching piece of interfacing and iron on. (Follow directions on packaging.)  Make sure your fabric is facing the right way!
4.  Trace the paper pattern onto the paper side of the interfacing now bonded to the fabric (remember to flip the paper pattern backwards so that when you iron on to the onesie or shirt, it will look right!)
5. Cut out design, and peel off the paper from the interfacing/fabric.
6.  Center your design (or not, your choice!) on the onesie or shirt and iron in place (follow directions on interfacing packaging).
7. Sew around design either with sewing machine or by hand.
8. Show all your friends how amazing you are and how cute your kids are in their new shirts!

Now, because I’m a little crazy, and I get really in to projects I think are too cute, I also made some cute PJ pants that matched a couple of these designs!  I made matching dino pants for the dino onesie (and gave it as a gift at the shower) and I made a PJ set for my little guy…

IMG_4473

IMG_4449 

I’ll post a pants tutorial in the future if anyone is interested!

-Emily

2 comments:

  1. First let me tell you both, I LOVE YOUR BLOG. You have the cutest and funnest ideas. Second, I LOVE THE ONESIES and of course THE PJ BOTTOMS. Too darn cute. I'm definitely trying it out. Thank you Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are super adorable!!! I may try these, but I would have to hand sew because I don't know how to use a sewing machine.... :(

    ReplyDelete